- Faculty Emeritus, Knowlton Schl of Architecture
275 W Woodruff Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
EDRA Achievement Award.
EDRA Career Award.
Distinguished Alumni Award.
Ethel Chattel Visiting Scholar.
Lilly Endowment Post-Doctoral Fellowshipo.
Lilly Endowment Post-Doctoral Fellowship.
- Jack L. Nasar. 2015. Creating Places That Promote Physical Activity: Perceiving is Believing. Active Living Research.
- Jack L. Nasar. 2008. Visual Quality by Design.. American Society of Interior Designers (ASID).
- Jack L. Nasar. 1999. Design by Competition: Making Design Competition Work.. Cambridge University Press.
- Jack L. Nasar. 2015. Specia Issue: Advances in Environmental Psychology. Behavioral Sciences.
- 2007. Universal Design and Visitability: From Accessibility to Zoning.. The John Glenn School for Public Affairs; and for free pdf downloads, The Ohio State University Knowledge Bank.
- 2007. Designing for Designers: Lessons Learned from Schools of Architecture.. Fairchild.
- 1999. Directions in Person Environment Research and Practice.. Ashgate.
- 2013. "People judge therapists by their offices." In Initial Intake, edited by Saul Robbins,
- 2012. "McMansions." In Encyclopedia of Housing, edited by Andrew T. Carswell,
- 2011. Environmental psychology and urban design. In Companion to Urban Design, edited by Tridib Banerjee & Anastasia Loukaitou-Sideris,
- 2000. "What design for a presidential library?." In EDRA 31/2000 Building Bridges: Connecting People, Research and Design, edited by AE Stamps,
- 1997. "Neo-traditional development, auto-dependency and sense of community." In EDRA28: Space design and management for place making, edited by M Amiel; R Bertrand; J Vischer,
- 1995. "Banking on design: Crime and proximate features of a design competition building." In Banking on Design: Environmental Design Research Association Proceedings, edited by A. Seidel,
- 1986. "Towards a new empirical aesthetics: Historiometric inquiry." In Proceedings of the Environmental Design Research Association, edited by B Bechtel,
- 1986. "Architect and lay judgments of architecture: Do they really differ?." In Public Environments: An International Forum on Environmental Design Research: Proceedings of EDRA, edited by J Harvey; D Henning,
- 1986. "The shaping of design behavior: Case studies of trade magazines." In The Cost of Not Knowing. Proceedings of EDRA 17, edited by J. Wineman; R Barnes; C Zimring,
- 1984. Cognition in relation to downtown street-scenes: A comparison between Japan and the United States. In EDRA 15 Proceedings: the Challenge of Diversity, edited by D Duerk; D Campbell,
- 1982. "Japanese environmental preferences and cognition in relation to the street side environment." In Knowledge for Design. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, edited by P Bart; A Chen; G Francescato,
- 1980. "On determining dimensions of environmental perception." In Optimizing Environments: Research, Practice and Policy. Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association, edited by RR Stough et al,
- "Using Scientific Methods to Assess Visual Quality." In Architecture Beyond Criticism: Toward a New Paradig, edited by W. F. E. Preiser, A. T. Davis, A .M. Salama,
- Nasar,Jack,L; Holloman,Christopher; Abdulkarim,Dina, 2015, "Street characteristics to encourage children to walk." TRANSPORTATION RESEARCH PART A-POLICY AND PRACTICE 72, 62-70 - 62-70.
- Nasar, J. L., Holloman, C. & Abdulkarim, D., 2015, Street Characteristics to Encourage Children to Walk. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 72, 62-70 - 62-70.
- Jelle Van Cauwenberg; Veerle Van Holle; Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij; Peter Clarys; Jack L. Nasar; Jo Salmon; Liesbet Goubert; Benedicte Deforche., 2015, Using manipulated photographs to identify features of streetscapes that may encourage older adults to walk for transport. PLOS ONE 9, no. 11, e112107. - e112107..
- A. Ghekiere, J. Van Cauwenberg, L. Mertens, P. Clarys, Bas de Geus, G. Cardon, J. Nasar, et al., 2015, Assessing cycling-friendly environments for children: are micro-environmental factors equally important across different street settings?. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 12, no. 1, 54 - 54.
- Ghekiere,Ariane; Van Cauwenberg,Jelle; Mertens,Lieze; Clarys,Peter; de Geus,Bas; Cardon,Greet; Nasar,Jack; Salmon,Jo; De Bourdeaudhuij,Ilse; Deforche,Benedicte, 2015, "Assessing cycling-friendly environments for children: are micro-environmental factors equally important across different street settings?." INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF BEHAVIORAL NUTRITION AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY 12, 54 - 54.
- YC Chiang; JL Nasar; CC Ko, 2014, Influence of visibility and situational threats on forest trail evaluations. Landscape and Urban Planning 125, 166-173 - 166-173.
- Lieze Mertens, Veerle Van Holle,Ilse De Bourdeaudhuij, Benedicte Deforche, Jo Salmon, Jack L Nasar, Nico Van de Weghe, Delfien Van Dyck, Jelle Van Cauwenberg, 2014, The effect of changing micro-scale physical environmental factors on an environment’s invitingness for transportation cycling in adults: an exploratory study using manipulated photographs. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 11, 88 - 88.
- Physical environmental factors that invite older adults to walk for transportation, 2014, "Physical environmental factors that invite older adults to walk for transportation." Journal of Environmental Psychology 38, 94-103 - 94-103.
- Van Holle, V., Van Cauwenberg, J., Deforche, B., Goubert, L., Maes, L., Nasar, J.L., Van de Weghe, N., Salmon, J., & De Bourdeaudhuij, I., 2014, Environmental invitingness for transport-related cycling in middle-aged adults: A proof of concept study using photographs. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 69, 432-446 - 432-446.
- Van Cauwenberg, J.; Van Holle, V; De Bourdeaudhuij, I; Clarys, P.; Nasar, J. L.et al., 2014, Physical environmental factors that invite older adults to walk for fransportation. Journal of Environmental Psychology 38, no. 20, 94-103 - 94-103.
- Nasar, J. L. & Holloman, C. H., 2013, "Playground characteristics to encourage children to visit and play." Journal of Physical Activity and Health 10, no. 8, 1201-1208 - 1201-1208.
- Devlin, AS, Nasar, JL, 2012, Impressions of psychotherapists' offices: Do therapists and clients agree?. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 43, no. 2, 118-122/doi: 10.1037/a0027292 - 118-122/doi: 10.1037/a0027292.
- J Van Cauwenberg, V Van Holle, D Simons, R Deridder, P Clarys, L Goubert, J L Nasar, J Salmon, I De Bourdeaudhuij, B Deforche, 2012, Environmental factors influencing older adults’ walking for transportation: A study using walk-along interviews. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 9, 85 - 85.
- Van Cauwenberg,Jelle; Van Holle,Veerle; Simons,Dorien; Clarys,Peter; Goubert,Liesbet; Nasar,Jack; Salmon,Jo; De Bourdeaudhuij,Ilse; Deforche,Benedicte, 2012, "The influence of environmental factors on older adults' walking for transportation: A study using walk-along interviews." JOURNAL OF AGING AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY 20, S313-S314 - S313-S314.
- Jack L. Nasar & Ann Sloan Devlin, 2011, Impressions of Psychiatrists' Offices. Journal of Counseling Psychology 58, no. 3, 310-320 - 310-320.
- Jack L. Nasar, 2011, Historic Preservation and Our Cities. The New York Times, Sunday Opinion, Letters to the Editor 7-7 - 7-7.
- Jack L. Nasar, 2010, Are retrofitted wheelchair entries separate and unequal?. Landscape and Urban Planning 95, no. 4, 169-174 - 169-174.
- WFE Preiser; JL Nasar, 2008, Assessing building performance: Its evolution from post-occupancy evaluation. ArchNet: International Journal of Architectural Research 2, no. 1, 54-99 - 54-99.
- Jack L. Nasar, Peter Hecht, & Rich Wener, 2008, Mobile telephones, distracted attention, and pedestrian safety.. Accident Analysis and Prevention 40, no. 1, 69-75 - 69-75.
- Jack L. Nasar, Peter Hecht, & Rich Wener, 2007, ‘Call if you have trouble’: Mobile phones and safety among college students. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 31, no. 4, 863-873 - 863-873.
- Jack L. Nasar, Jennifer Evans-Cowley, & Vicente Mantero, 2007, McMansions: The extent and regulations of supersized homes. Journal of Urban Design 12, no. 3, 339-358 - 339-358.
- E Cubukcu; KM Cubukcu; JL Nasar, 2006, "Spatial knowledge and the computer game playing habit." Yapi 293, 85-87 - 85-87.
- Nasar,Jack,L; Sancar,Fahriye, 2006, "Pedestrian mall, Denver (I. M.Pei and Partners and Hanna/Olin Landscape Architects)." Landscape Architecture 96, no. 5, 56 - 56.
- Nasar,J, 2005, "Ohio State: The debate continues (Jack Nasar)." Landscape Architecture 95, no. 11, 13-13 - 13-13.
- J Evans-Cowley, JL Nasar, 2004, Amarillo yard art: Resident responses to yard signs and their regulation. Journal of the American Planning Association 70, no. 1, 67-80 - 67-80.
- JS Evans-Cowley, JL Nasar, 2003, Signs as yard art in Amarillo, Texas. Geographical Review 93, no. 1, 97-113 - 97-113.
- JL Nasar, 2002, What design for a presidential library?. Empirical Studies of the Arts 20, 83-89 - 83-89.
- Nasar,J,L; Kang,J,M, 1999, "House style preference and meanings across taste cultures." Landscape and Urban Planning 44, no. 1, 33-42 - 33-42.
- Nasar,J; Cackowski,J,M, 1998, "The value of nature (Response to J.William Thompson's article highlighting the work of Roger Ulrich)." Landscape Architecture 88, no. 7, 14-14 - 14-14.
- BC Fisher; JL Nasar, 1992, Fear of crime in relation to three site features: Prospect, refuge an escape. Environment and Behavior 24, no. 1, 35-65 - 35-65.
- BS Fisher; JL Nasar, 1992, Students fear of crime and its relation to physical features of the campus. Journal of Security Administration 15, no. 2, 65-75 - 65-75.
- E Johnson; JL Nasar, 1990, The personality of the profession. Landscape Journal 9, no. 2, 102-108 - 102-108.
- JL Nasar, 1990, The evaluative image of the city. Journal of the American Planning Association 56, no. 1, 41-53 - 41-53.
- JL Nasar, 1988, Architectural symbolism: A study of house-style meanings. EDRA: Environmental Design Research Association 19, 163-171 - 163-171.
- JL Nasar et al., 1984, Modifiers of Perceived Spaciousness and Crowding among Different Cultural Groups.. ERIC ED257734, 1-25 - 1-25.
- JL Nasar; N Bushrossnagel; J Campbell; S Danish, 1980, "An interdisciplinary approach to designing environments for young children." Journal of Man-Environment Relations 1, no. 1, 10-16 - 10-16.
- JL Nasar; J Tector, 1980, "Third generation design methods." Design Methods & Theories 14, no. 3, 1-12 - 1-12.
- L Mertens; J van Cauwenber; A.Ghekier; V. VanHolle; I. Debourdeaudhuij; B. Deforche; J L. Nasar; N. Vandeweghe; D. VanDyck, "Does the effect of micro-environmental factors on a street's appeal for adults' bicycle transport vary across different macro-environments? An experimental study.." PLOS ONE
- Nasar, JL, Holloman, C, Playground characteristics to encourage children to visit and play. Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- Devlin, A., Nasar, J.L., & Cubukcu, E, "Impressions of Psychotherapists' Offices: A Cross-cultural Comparison.." Environment and Behavior
- Nasar, JL, Holloman, C, "Playground characteristics to encourage playing." Journal of Physical Activity and Health
- Devlin, A., Nasar, J. L., Cubukcu, E., "Impressions of Psychotherapists' Offices: A Cross-cultural Comparison.." Environment and Behavior
- Van Cauwenberga, J., Van Holleb, V., Simonsa, D., Deriddera, R., Clarysa, P., Goubertc, L., Nasar, J. Salmone, S., De Bourdeaudhuijb, I., Deforchea, B., "Environmental factors influencing older adults’ walking for transportation: A study using walk-along Interviews." International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.
- Van Holle, V., Van Cauwenberg, J., Deforche, B., Goubert, L., Maes, L., Nasar, J.L., Van de Weghe, N., Salmon, J., & De Bourdeaudhuij, I., "Environmental invitingness for transport-related cycling in middle-aged adults: a proof of concept study using photographs." Transportation Research
- Ghekier, A; Van Cauwenberg' Deforche, JB; De Bourdeaudhuij, I; Cardon, G; Clarys, P; de geus, B; Mertens, l; Salmon, J; Nasar, J, "Creating cycling-friendly environments for children: which micro-scale factors are most important? An experimental study using manipulated photographs." PLOS One
- Van Cauwenberg, J., De Bourdeaudhuij, I.,Clarys, P., Nasar, J. et al., "Street characteristics preferred for transportation walking among older adults: A choice-based conjoint analysis with manipulated photographs." International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity
- "Active Living Research Guidelines." 2010, Presented at National Planning Conference,
- "Assessing environments for active living." 2010,
- "Save that house! An examination of demolition ordinances.." 2011, Presented at 53rd Annual Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning Conference,
- "Ãˆ Piu Restrative un ambiente naturale o costruito? Uno studio sugli skyline urbani notturno." 2012, Presented at Congresso della Sezione di Psicologia Sperimentale di Associazione Italiana di Psicologia (AIP),
- "Meanings Matters for Design, Invited Keynote Address." 2010, Presented at 9th International Symposium of Environment-Behavior Studies,
- "Active living research: Street and park design for physical activity among children." 2010, Presented at C&RP PhD lecture,
- "Restorative Environments." 2011,
- "Designing healthy urban parks: Assessing and applying the research." 2011, Presented at Urban Nature, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture 2011,
- "Designing for communities." 2011, Presented at National Planning Conference (APA),
- "Improving Street and Playground Perceptions." 2011, Presented at American Society of Landscape Architects,
- "Perceived aspects of streets and chldren's physical activity." 2011, Presented at 53rd Annual Association of Collegiate Schools of Planning Conference,
- "Mobile technology and distracted attention.." 2010, Presented at Webinar: California Department of Public Health, Pedestrian Safety Program,
- "Perceived aspects of streets and parks that might affect children's physical activity.." 2010, Presented at 41st Environmental Design Research Association Conference,
- Functional integration of planning programs: Does administrative location matter?. 2010, Presented at American Collegiate Schools of Planning, 51st Annual Conference,
- "Psychological Distortions of Physical Maps: Possible Uses for Food Access Measures." 2013, Presented at Food Mapping Team Dine and Learn Event,
- "Restorative value of nature and skylines in daylight and after dark." 2013, Presented at 44th Annual Environmental Design Reseach Association Conference,
- Urban Environmens, Non Visual Response. 2014, Presented at Illuminating Engineering Society: Light + Behavior,
- "Dynamic experience of Spaciousness, Surprise and Preference." 2014, Presented at 45th Annual Conference of the Environmental Design Research Association,
- "Lessons Learned from Evaluting 30 Psychotherapists' Offices." 2013, Presented at 121st Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association,
- "Tre Brevi Scale Per Misare Restorativeness, Livability, Liveliness Degi Ambiente Fisici: Un Confronto Italia USA." 2012, Presented at Congresso nazionale delle sezioni dell'AIP,
Papers in Proceedings
- Nasar, J L.,, Pasini, M., Burro, R., Paolillo, A., & Perry, S. "Restorative value of nature and skylines in daylight and after dark.." in 44th Annual Environmental Design Reseach Association Conference. (5 2013).
- Nasar,J "Towards a new empirical aesthetics - Historiometric inquiry." in 22nd Annual Conf. of the Environmental Design Research Association- Healthy EnvironmentsA 22/1991 ). (1 1991).