College of Engineering dean search commences
After adeptly leading The Ohio State University College of Engineering since 2011, David B. Williams will be stepping down next year as dean when his second five-year term expires at the end of the 2020-2021 academic year.
A nationwide search for his successor is underway. On April 28, Ohio State Executive Vice President and Provost Bruce A. McPheron announced that a search advisory committee has been created to recommend his replacement.
Over the last decade under Williams’ leadership, the College of Engineering has experienced unprecedented growth in faculty numbers and diversity, student quality and diversity, research expenditures, infrastructure investment and external fundraising. In total, the college serves more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students, supports 950 faculty, research scientists and staff, and manages a $150 million-a-year research program.
During his tenure as the 22nd engineering dean, the college’s annual budget has increased by over 40% to almost $300 million, external gifts and donations have exceeded $370 million and tenure-track faculty ranks have increased from 270 to 320. More than $300 million has been invested in new and renovated facilities.
“I have been privileged to be the dean of an extraordinary college, staffed by the best team I have ever led, where the brightest students are taught by talented, committed and diverse faculty and staff,” Williams said. “Our alumni and industry partners are generous in the extreme.
“It is now time for another leader to bring in new ideas and time for me to serve Ohio State in a different way. I have every confidence the search committee will find the right person and I look forward to helping the 23rd dean transition into her/his/their role.”
Gretchen Ritter, vice provost and executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will chair the search advisory committee, which also includes:
- Lisa Abrams, professor of practice, Department of Engineering Education
- Tanya Berger-Wolf, professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering; professor, Department of Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology; professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; faculty director, Translational Data Analytics Institute
- Karen Dannemiller, assistant professor, Department of Civil, Environmental and Geodetic Engineering; assistant professor, Division of Environmental Health Sciences, College of Public Health
- David Eckmann, professor, Department of Anesthesiology; director of the Center for Medical & Engineering Innovation
- Pelagia-Iren Gouma, Edward Orton Jr. Chair in Ceramic Engineering; professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering; professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Giselle Guanes Melgarejo, graduate student and research associate, Department of Engineering Education
- Chris Hammel, professor, Department of Physics; professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering; director, Center for Emergent Materials; Ohio Eminent Scholar
- Kay Bea Jones, professor, Knowlton School of Architecture
- Lisa Mayhugh, associate director, ElectroScience Lab, College of Engineering
- Umit Ozkan, chair and professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Farhang Pourboghrat, chair and professor, Department of Integrated Systems Engineering; professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Brett Roubinek, president and chief executive officer, Transportation Research Center
- Mo Samimy, Nordholt Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- LaTonia Stiner-Jones, assistant professor of practice, Department of Biomedical Engineering; assistant dean of graduate programs, College of Engineering
- Morley Stone, senior vice president for research
- David Tomasko, professor, Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering; associate dean for undergraduate education and services, College of Engineering
- Kay Wolf, senior vice provost