The bachelor of science in engineering technology program (BSET) is ideal for prospective students who like to find solutions to problems, are interested in leadership roles and want to
learn how things work. Manufacturers worldwide are looking for employees who have these characteristics and possess skills that integrate business and leadership principles with engineering processes and technical knowledge. The engineering technology program, which includes a concentration in manufacturing, was developed with input from global manufacturers.
This major is available only on the Lima, Mansfield, Marion and Newark*
* Newark will offer the program beginning in Autumn 2023
As part of Ohio State’s nationally-ranked engineering college, engineering technology graduates are prepared for a manufacturing leadership role by knowing how to:
- Apply appropriate engineering technologies and 21st-century tools
- Analyze problems using a systems approach
- Bring the needs of people into the equation
- Use strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Employ effective business analysis of decisions in local and global contexts
On admission to a regional campus, students may enroll directly into the four-year engineering technology program. Current students can find out how to enroll in the program by speaking with their academic advisor.
Career opportunities in engineering technology
Engineering technology graduates will be well prepared for career opportunities in today's highly-automated manufacturing industry.
Engineering technology graduates will be prepared for careers as engineers in manufacturing plants, consulting firms, or industrial and control and automation organizations in a diverse number of industries. Sample career paths for an engineering technology graduate include:
- Process engineer
- Manufacturing engineer
- Operational excellence team member
- Operations supervisor
- Process improvement leader
Experiences to make students marketable upon graduation
Ohio State regional campuses offer a world-class engineering technology education in a personalized and cost-effective learning environment. Students receive hands-on lab experiences in our state-of the-art facilities and have the opportunity to participate in undergraduate research.
In addition, regional campuses partner with local manufacturers to offer immersive and applicable internship and senior capstone experiences. Engineering technology students can also join student chapters of nationally-recognized industry organizations including the International Society of Automation, Society of Manufacturing Engineers or the Society of Women Engineers.
What's so great about the BSET Program at Ohio State?
- Launch your career as a manufacturing engineering leader after graduation
- Large demand for these skills now and in the future in manufacturing, Ohio's largest employer
- Learn from industry mentors from the first to final semesters
- Engage in hands-on, real-life coursework
- Remain local for college and benefit from affordable tuition ($8.2K/year)
- Work at good paying jobs upon graduation (12% more pay than other industries).
- Gain course credit for internships
- Access dedicated scholarships (eg, Choose Ohio First - $3.4K/year)
Below is a partial list of companies involved with the BSET program - a degree developed by and for manufacturers.