Ohio State’s College of Engineering contributes to the economic vitality of Ohio, significantly impacting Ohio’s development.
Ranked among the top 15 public engineering programs in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, the College of Engineering works closely with hundreds of state and national companies to develop solutions to industrial and manufacturing problems:
- Ohio State ranks third among all U.S. universities in industry-sponsored research, with more than half of that research conducted in the College of Engineering
- Our faculty are entrepreneurs, bringing more than $100 million in external funding into Ohio each year
- Engineering researchers have filed 346 invention and patent disclosures since 2006
The College of Engineering’s impact on Ohio:
- The College of Engineering is No. 1 in industry research expenditures among national engineering programs
- More than 350 companies have collaborated with the College of Engineering since 2005
- Nearly 50 percent of our engineering graduates remain in Ohio, working for Ohio employers
The College of Engineering provides an average of 709 graduate students with jobs each year, conducting research for industry and government partners. Among our undergraduates, an average of 227 students hold research positions as a direct result of industry and government partnerships.
By working with industry and government partners, our faculty, researchers and students advance the technological competitiveness and economic vitality of Ohio. These collaborations produce tangible results including decreased manufacturing costs and increased jobs, revenues and productivity for many companies.
Ohio State’s Honda/Ohio State Partnership, a unique industry/university collaboration with activities spanning education, research and public service, was named one of the top 5 industry-university partnerships nationally in 2007. (Business Facilities Magazine)
The College of Engineering directly employs an average of 712 people per year through grants and contracts from external sources, primarily federal and industry grants.