The Diversity, Outreach and Inclusion Office will be offering two a one day summer experience for rising junior and senior High School students for the 2019-20 academic year. The program will introduce prospective students to careers and opportunities within engineering through hands-on and interactive learning. Students will experience engineering from a humanitarian perspective and learn about the engineering design build process and team work as relates to consumer safety.
Students will also receive important information on the college application process as well as financial aid and scholarships.
DATES TO REMEMBER: Friday, June 28 and Thursday, July 11
Registration Coming Soon
Sponsored by the GM Foundation and in partnership with the Toy Adaptation Program (TAP) and the Center for Automotive Research (CAR)
The Translational Data Analytics Institute hosts a free summer camp that introduces 35 young women in grades 8-10 to data science and analytics-an exiting, fast-growing field centered on scientific methods and processes for extracting new knowledge from data. Students who learn these skills can combine them with an unimaginably wide range of interests, from business and biology to health care and education, to city planning and social serivces and they are in high demand by employers.
Over the course of five days, campers:
- Work in student teams and with mentors to develop analytical and problem-solving skills
- Learn from scientists and students
- Gain hands-on experience using data software, visualizing data, and giving presentations
- Experience data science in use at the Translational Data Analytics Institute and other locations throughout Ohio State such as the Advanced Computing Center for the Arts and Design and Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center
- Explore educational and career opportunities in data science and analytics
Additional learning opportunities after camp include:
- Mentorships with Ohio State students
- Attending lectures and other campus events during the school year
- ACT/SAT prep sessions
- Exposure to student challenges on campus such as DataFest, HackOHI/O, and MakeOHI/O
- Leadership roles in future Data Science for Women Summer Camps
Science and Engineering Summer Camps at Ohio State Marion
Summer Engineering Institute for High School Juniors and Seniors
June 3-6, 2019 9AM - 3PM
The Summer Engineering Institute (SEI) will provide opportunities to explore the fundamentals of engineering. The SEI will introduce students to a variety of engineering areas and engineering fundamentals. Topics inclde engineering design process, teamwork skill, elements of problem solving, and engineering professionalism and ethics.
STEM Summer Camp (Grades 9-12)
June 10-14, 2019 9AM - 5PM
The STEM Summer camp focuses on exploration in science and engineering topics. Camp attendees will experience sessions in mathematics, problem solving, biochemistry, engineering and robotics while working directly with Ohio State Marion faculty, undergraduate peer mentors, and local high school teachers.
Summer Engineering Camp for Middle School Girls
June 10-14, 2019 9AM - 3PM
Summer Engineering Camp for Middle School Girls provides an opportunity for middle school girls to participate in hand-on projects to broaden their knowledge and skills. Attendees will explore different majors and become familar with various engineering disciplines with an ultimate goal of making informed decisions and building pathways into high school engineering courses.
For further information on the summer camps at Marion, go to go.osu.edu/osumcamps