Mechanical Engineering, BSME
Program Educational Objectives:
The program educational objectives for the Mechanical Engineering program are to educate graduates who will be ethical, productive and contributing members of society. As they progress professionally after graduation our alumni will:
- Use their engineering foundation for success in:
- careers in engineering (practice, research, R&D, education, management or service) in industry, academia, government or other organizations, or
- technical non-engineering careers in industry, academia, government, or other organizations, or
- graduate school in engineering, or
- careers in areas such as law, medicine, business, public policy, secondary education, service industries, etc.
- careers involving management or entrepreneurship.
- Use lifelong learning skills to:
- take advantage of professional development opportunities in their disciplines.
- develop new knowledge and skills and pursue new areas of expertise or careers.
- adapt to changing global markets and workforce trends.
- Engage in professional service by:
- using their engineering background to advance society and to help solve technical and societal problems.
- developing new knowledge and products that will promote sustainable economic development to improve the quality of life.
- promoting the practice of engineering as a source of societal good.
The mechanical engineering program will give our graduating seniors the skills and knowledge base to allow them to achieve our program educational objectives after graduation. By the time of graduation, our students will have:
- an ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science and mathematics.
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental and economic factors.
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental and societal contexts.
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks and meet objectives.
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.