The university is under a state of emergency, effective Sunday, March 22. Campuses remain open, but with restrictions and limitations already announced. MORE INFO
New first-year students
* Ohio State’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions is the primary resource for the application process and handles direct enrollment for undergraduate students into the College of Engineering.
High school seniors applying to the Columbus campus are encouraged to submit their complete admission application by November 1st. Capacity within Engineering fills quickly.
How to Apply: undergrad.osu.edu/apply/freshmen-columbus
For general information for future Ohio State students, visit: undergrad.osu.edu.
The most current university admission information and criteria for first-year students is available at: undergrad.osu.edu. International first-year students should also visit undergrad.osu.edu/welcome/international for admissions information.
International new first-year students: Admitted international first-year students must meet the direct enrollment criteria.
Admitted students enroll as pre-majors and apply to enter the major when prerequisite coursework has been completed.
Students interested in pursuing engineering at Ohio State indicate their pre-major of interest on their admissions application. Applicants are reviewed holistically by Ohio State Undergraduate Admissions. The College of Engineering does not review nor have access to applications for incoming freshmen. Learn more about the admissions process: undergrad.osu.edu/apply/freshmen-columbus/who-gets-in
All students entering Ohio State in the College of Engineering enroll in the Pre-Major Program, enabling students to explore our 14 majors through both their coursework and information sessions. As pre-majors, students will:
- complete foundational coursework that includes the Fundamental of Engineering course sequence, calculus and, for most majors, physics and/or chemistry.
- engage with faculty, academic advisors and peers to explore options, and learn how several engineering majors can lead to similar career outcomes.
- select and apply to three majors of interest during the semester that eligibility courses are completed, which generally occurs during the second semester of enrollment.
Students will learn more about the application to major process and major opportunities at orientation, and throughout their freshmen year.
Enrollment for transfer students in the College of Engineering is competitive. For students transferring from another institution of higher education:
If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described in the previous sections.
If you have more than 30 semester credit hours and a GPA at your previous institution of 3.0 or higher, and have completed college level calculus, you will be directly enrolled as a pre-major in the program of your choice. You may not enter as an undeclared pre-major.
If you have more than 30 semester credit hours, but do not meet the 3.0 GPA, you will be enrolled in Science, Technology and the Environment Exploration.
The most current university admission information and criteria for transfer students is available at: undergrad.osu.edu/apply/transfer.
International transfer students
All international transfer students will be reviewed for direct enrollment in the College of Engineering as a pre-major of the student’s choice based on the criteria listed below. International students may not enter as an engineering undeclared pre-major.
- If you have fewer than 30 semester credit hours, you will be considered under the criteria for new students in Engineering as described above for new first-year students.
- If you have more than 30 semester credit hours (or the equivalent), then you must have:
- A minimum GPA of a 3.0 or higher from previous institutions, and
- Earned a score of L (Calculus level) on the Math Placement Exam or have completed college level theoretical calculus (business calculus coursework does not qualify).
International transfer students should also visit undergrad.osu.edu/apply/international-transfer.
Internal transition from another Ohio State college or regional campus
Current Ohio State students on the Columbus campus must meet these requirements for admission into the College of Engineering pre-major program:
- 2.5 Ohio State GPA
- C- or higher in Math 1151
- Credit for one of the following courses: Chemistry 1210, Chemistry 1250, Physics 1250, Biology 2100
- 1 semester of full-time enrollment as an undergraduate student at Ohio State
Students enrolled in the College of Engineering who start on the regional campus must meet the campus change requirement before starting on the Columbus campus.
Students who meet the admission criteria and wish to enroll in the College of Engineering should contact an academic advisor in their program of interest.