Aerospace Engineering, BSAE
Program Educational Objectives
The Program Educational Objectives of Aerospace Engineering are to matriculate graduates who conduct themselves in a responsible, professional and ethical manner (citizenship), and who upon the years following graduation, are engaged in the following:
- actively embracing leadership roles in the practice of engineering in industry and government organizations (including both traditional and emerging technical areas).
- research and development across disciplines (via graduate study or industry) to advance technology and foster innovation in order to compete successfully in the global economy.
- applying their engineering problem solving skills to less-traditional career paths (e.g., law, medicine, business, start-up ventures, and public policy, etc.).
- actively participating in professional development opportunities (conferences, workshops, short courses, graduate education, etc.).
- updating and adapting their core knowledge and abilities to compete in the ever-changing global enterprise.
- developing new knowledge and skills to pursue new career opportunities.
- serving as mentors for the engineering profession, helping others develop a passion for engineering.
- exchanging and applying knowledge to create new opportunities that advance our society and solve a variety of technical and social problems.
- entrepreneurial ventures and fostering activities that support sustainable economic development that enhance the quality of life of people in the state, across the country, and around the world.
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies