UPDATE: As OSU Pro is transitioned to Research in View, we will be replacing our OSU Pro integration with KmData integration. KmData is a cross university project designed to pull in information from multiple university systems including Research in View, PeopleSoft, SIS, and more. During the transition to KmData, we should retain all fields we are presently pulling in from OSU Pro.
The transition to KmData has taken longer than expected due to some issues in the feeds from Research in View and in KmData. Please bear with us during this transition.
We use OSU Pro and a few other sources to power the directories and faculty profiles on our sites. Data is pulled from OSU Pro into our sites on a daily basis. Faculty and staff profiles are synchronized but not the list of individuals within an organization.
We presently synchronize some data for the following fields:
- Research narrative
- Most works (journals, books, chapters, papers in proceedings, etc)
- Web URL (under contact info)
- Biographical narrative
- Title (imported once, but unchanged thereafter)
- Address / Phone (OSU Pro syncs from HR unless you override)
- Courses taught (comes from the SIS datastore not OSU Pro, updated nightly, should mirror buckeyelink, no independent studies, earliest courses are those from Su09, when peoplesoft came online)
If you would like a particular type of information in your profile, please submit a feature request. Include a thorough description of the information, why it belongs on a faculty profile vs another page in a department or center site, and any leads you might have on places we may be able to find such information.
We consider the current People/OSU Pro implementation to a base which should be expanded, not a terminal solution. Ideas we have heard in the past include:
- more research
- social networking integration
- teaching assessments (student evals)
- teaching narratives
- user customizable course list (instead of being sis driven)
- more information about each course taught
Screencast of MAE faculty presentation
Update on Demand
Normally, when you update your OSU Pro profile, changes will sync to websites leveraging our OSU Pro integration within 24 hours. If you would like to see changes immediately, clicking on the sync icon at the bottom of your profile on the target site will initiate an on-demand sync.
Why OSU Pro?
There are several reasons to use OSU Pro which...
- is the university's single best available source of information on faculty and staff.
- places the power to edit in faculty's hands.
- provides a single place to perform edits which can trickle down to multiple sites.
- allows us to leverage information at the scale of one university instead of trapping it in smaller units.
Others are also using OSU Pro. During the summer of 2010, Pro hosted a meeting of IT staff from around the university to discuss an upcoming web service and it was attended by around 40 prominent technology staffers. Everyone is integrating with Pro. Some, like Arts and Sciences, already have solutions. Others, like Fisher, are looking to start using it. It's also being used to track tenure.
Field XYZ is missing?
OSU Pro has permissions that allow you to restrict which fields are publically visible. For us to import a particular field into your engineering web profiles, you must make that field public. To do so, click on "change your settings" after you first log into OSU Pro and then click on "change public access to this profile".